JOB ADVERTISEMENT: HOUSE TECHNICIAN VARSCONA THEATRE
The Varscona Theatre is currently accepting applications for the position of House Technician. This person shall be responsible for overseeing all technical aspects for the Varscona’s productions.
The House Technician will be responsible for:
- Ensuring that the physical resources required for each event are ready, available and in good working order (i.e. lights, sound equipment, microphones, etc.)
- Work with the production stage manager or production manager to plan the technical schedules.
- Attend all production meetings.
- Ensure that all safety issues related to events are dealt with in a calm and timely manner.
- Run sound and/or lights (in consultation with the stage manager) for each performance or schedule technicians to perform this task as required.
- Purchase supplies and equipment as needed utilizing the accounts currently in place with suppliers or in co-ordination with building management.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with major suppliers. Source out new suppliers when required.
- Ensure that the theatre’s shop/storage areas are maintained in an efficient, clean and safe manner, properly stocked, secured and functioning effectively.
- Execute equipment maintenance on a regular basis to ensure the safety and longevity of equipment -
Planning and Execution of Theatre Production Elements:
- Oversee the builds on all productions. - Work closely with designers to problem-solve design issues.
- Consult with directors and designers to ensure artistic integrity is maintained. - Oversee and help execute the strikes on all productions.
Varscona Theatre Building Awareness:
- Keep a friendly and courteous demeanour when dealing with the general public.
- Ensure that all organizations respect sets and props of others using the building and that all in-house organizations respect each other’s sets and technical needs.
- Work collaboratively with the weekly show technician to ensure their needs are given consideration and respect.
- Ensure that the actors and performers know the safety issues on any given set.
Required Skills & Qualities:
- The successful applicant will have proven knowledge of production techniques and staging principles and the use of relevant computer programs (usual MS Office applications), including AutoCAD.
- A minimum of two years experience as a Theatre Technician or related experience is required.
- The applicant should have experience with modern lighting consoles and digital audio mixers.
- We are seeking a dynamic and responsible individual with superior management skills.
- The successful candidate will have experience in motivating and managing staff.
- The candidate will have excellent communication skills and the ability to maintain a positive attitude in stressful situations.
- The individual should be self-motivated, and continuously work toward improving and maintaining the theatre and operational practices.
- A valid Alberta driver’s license is essential.
- Having current First Aid and Fall Arrest training is an asset.
- Candidates must be available to work evenings and weekends, as required by production and rental schedules.
- Drafting experience an asset.
START DATE: January 2nd, 2018
SALARY: commensurate with experience.
TO APPLY: Send a cover letter and resume to:
The Varscona Theatre
Attention: Davina Stewart, Communications Director
10329-83 Ave. Edmonton (AB)
CLOSING DATE: NOVEMBER 20, 2017